1)National Night Out (NNO) is a nationwide annual event where local police departments rally community members to join with neighbors and police officers to:
- Heighten crime and drug prevention awareness;
- Generate support for, and participation in, local anticrime programs;
- Strengthen neighborhood spirit and police-community partnerships; and
- Send a message to criminals letting them know that neighborhoods are organized and fighting back.
Dupont’s National Night Out, this year, is on Hopkins Court, Tuesday, August 7th, 5pm to 7pm. Hopkins is that one block street that runs south off of P Street in between 20th and 21st. MPD will block off the street. Parked cars will have to be moved.
We’ll be grilling up burgers and hot dogs donated by the Hotel Palomar. Mark & Orlando’s and other local restaurants will be providing a smorgasbord of side items from baked beans and cole slaw to mac’n’cheese and salad. There will be a jazz band.
MPD will bring one of their harbor patrol boats, have a helicopter do a low fly by, and bring key personal such as the lieutenant in charge of drug investigations. Besides coming to get to know your police, please come with info on the area drug dealing. The Gay and Lesbian Liaison Unit (GLLU) will be there, too.
2) From our Lieutenant Dignan:
The Third District would like to make everyone aware of the arrest of two subjects that are believed to have been involved in at least 5 robberies in your neighborhood: 1900 block of 13th Street, 1800 block of 13th Street,1500 P Street, 1600 Church Street and the 2100 block of 14th Street. We are also looking to see if the subjects could possibly been involved in more robberies.
3) From a reliable neighbor:
Rash of attempted break ins, and one successful break in on 1400 Swann today in broad daylight. Appx. 2:30pm, several attempted entries into properties in the 1400 blocks of Swann and T. Burglar(s) took computers and other valuables while residents were gone for just one hour. Police have been very responsive, both to the burglary, and with a separate patrol car visiting our block, with the officer talking with neighbors.
4) The Chief of Police is likely receive the recommendation that our Police Service Area (PSA) for Dupont and Kalorama be moved to the 2nd Police District but that has not been officially recommended.
5) Darrell Barber hasn’t been arrested. There is someone who looks like Darrell Barber in the neighborhood but who is less mobile. Darrell Barber struts around like he’s working; the other guy walks with a cane. He has no warrant or court-ordered stay-away so calling his whereabouts to the attention of the day officers on duty by calling me is about the best we can do.
6) Dupont Public Safety meeting will be at 7pm on August 21st at1620 V Street in the 3rd District headquarters.
202 319 1313
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.476 / Virus Database: 269.11.4/936 - Release Date: 8/4/2007 2:42 PM