1) The 1st and second photos in this group http://ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/DupontForum/photos/browse/70d8 and attached are of Darrell Barber. (Some won’t get the photos if they are on digest version and not on the DupontForum.) It’s confirmed that he’s again out of prison and had been seen in Dupont. That likely means he will be knocking on doors and burglarizing those who do not answer. He’ll ask for handyman work if you do answer. I don’t yet know if it’s a violation of his parole to return the scene of his previous career.
2) Announcement of Sexual Assault out of Dupont/Kal but newsworthy:
June 26, 2008
Sexual Assault Suspect Sought
The Metropolitan Police Department is currently investigating several sexual assaults in the Second District that may be related.
· The first incident occurred on May 16, 2008 in the 2400 block of Huidekoper Place, NW.
· The second incident occurred on May 25, 2008 in the 3000 block of Newark Street, NW.
· The third incident occurred on June 26, 2008 in the 2400 block of Tunlaw Road, NW.
In each case a female victim was awakened in the early morning hours by an unknown male suspect who gained entry to their residence by unknown means. The suspect has either attempted or has sexually assaulted the victims.
The suspect in each case is described as a white or Hispanic male, approximately 5'10” - 6'0” in height, with a medium build, wearing dark colored pants and a collared shirt.
Anyone with information about any of these cases is asked to call police at (202) 727-9099 or 1-888-919-CRIM[E]. Confidential information may be also forwarded to the department’s TEXT TIP LINE by the text messaging 50411.
3) See Matt Rhoades’ good work below.
202 319 1313
I received this e-mail from Officer Mike Smith last evening and, by chance, ran into him around 10 p.m. last night as I was walking the dog. Please read Officer Smith's e-mail, below. He wanted me to emphasize to Borderstan residents right now that everyone should be extra careful in the evenings on our local streets. Officer Smith told me that crime this week has already shot up by 177% over last week. If you have any questions, please contact your PSA officer:
- West Borderstan is PSA 208 (west of 15th Street): Officer Mike Smith
- East Bordersan is PSA 307 (east of 15th Street): Officer Richard Parrish
Keep your eyes open... be aware of what is going on around you... be careful getting in and out of your car.
-- Matt Rhoades
Just wanted to let you know that there has been more robberies in the area since my last email. One in particular was unusually violent in that one victim was possibly pistol-whipped during the robbery. That incident occured early Sunday morning at approximately 4 am at the corner of 15th and Church Sts NW. The victims had just parked their car when the suspect approached and asked the driver for directions. Suspect # 1, described as a black male approximately 5'7" with a thin build, short afro hairstyle then punched the driver in the face demanding money. The driver was able to exit the car pursued by Suspect #1 who continued to strike the victim, then he produced a black handgun, striking the victim again. The second suspect was described as a light skinned black male or hispanic male approximately 5'9" with a stocky build. His hairstyle was described as somewhat unique as it was described as long black hair pulled back into a knot, th en the hair below the knot appeared to be braided. Suspect #2 held the second victim at gunpoint as victim #1 was robbed. Both suspects fled on foot on Church St towards 16th St.
Also to let you know I did arrest one suspect for attempted armed robbery at the corner of 15th St and Q St on Friday night at approximately 10:15 PM. This suspect approached two pedestrians and produced a box cutter and attempted to rob them but they were able to flag down a patrol car and the suspect was immediately arrested.
Robberies are occuring on both the 2D and 3D sides primarily between 14th and 16th Streets, mostly between R and U Streets. I have been working with the 2D detectives office to see if we can identify the suspects. Crime over the last 7 days is up over 170% from the same period last year (18 crimes vs. 6 criimes a year ago).
I will keep you updated if more information becomes available. You can disseminate this email and the information as needed.
Ofc M. Smith/2nd District